The choice of the style of a wedding celebration is an exciting and challenging event for future newlyweds. Among the interesting themes of the ceremony can be identified as a unique Nigerian wedding. Brides pay all their attention to a beautiful outfit. In Nigeria, girls select white dresses or traditional costumes that conform to customs and religious beliefs. Nigeria is a large country with 250 ethnic groups speaking in more than 500 languages.
Therefore, Nigerian wedding ceremonies differ depending on the region, religion, and ethnicity. But mainly Nigerian brides wear bright wedding clothes. The dresses are distinguished by bright lace blouses and patterned kaftans, which are often sewn from Indian fabrics. Nigerian gele is headgear from a piece of cloth wrapped around the head – one of the most colorful elements of clothing. In Nigeria, it is believed that the more gele, the more beautiful it is.
Homespun and hand-colored fabrics with factory-made fabrics are used for wedding dresses
The bright blue color is characteristic of the southern regions and white in the north. A wide rectangular piece of fabric is chosen for the dress. The brides tie a belt at the waist. The groom should have a cap – fillet or aso-oka on the head, and the long tunic – agbad. Nigeria is an interesting country, with a particular culture and traditions.
If you want to organize a wedding in the Nigerian style, pay attention to its features:
- During the wedding ceremony, the groom and his friends fall before the members of the bride’s family, before presenting the bride, hidden under the veil.
- The bridesmaids have to collect money that is thrown at the newlyweds during the dance.
- A special place is given to putting on the bodies of newlyweds’ intricate African patterns – Mehendi, designed to attract well-being to the future family. They draw fantasy patterns where geometric shapes woven with floral motifs carry a secret meaning that protects their masters.
- The main decoration for women is not the quality and elegance of the dress, but various bright decorations made of colored beads, shells, beads. Brides in large quantities wear earrings, rings, necklaces, bracelets and so on. Also, much attention is paid to hairstyles.
Tips in design:
- Picturesque Nigerian decor should be in soothing pastel colors: sand and coffee. Complement it by ethnic patterns and eye-catching ornaments that symbolize nature and national traditions.
- Additional bright and saturated colors: red, black, bright yellow and orange, symbolizing a night, a fire in the desert, the hot sun and savanna.
- Dynamic accessories and handmade decorative elements: clay figurines, dishes, beads, straps, golden amulets, feathers of strange birds, masks, carved out of sandalwood will greatly complement the interior.
- You can use the small variegated paintings and bright flower arrangements.
According to custom, newlyweds can choose any color and fabric – the main thing is that they coincide. Below are the fabrics and wedding dresses with traditional ornaments that you can choose for your wedding.
Showing all 18 results